We are Date: LJ2
After reading We Are Date Algorithms and the making of our digital selves by Cheney-Lippold (2017), I found myself not as concerned as I probably should be. According to Cheney-Lippold (2017), even if we search up something simple on the internet, that data can be used in algorithms to categorize us without our participation, and in most cases, our knowledge (p. 5). The algorithms used can determine anything about us, such as assuming gender and age (p. 8). The reason why I am not so concerned to what I could be considered to someone else as date is because I tend to keep my personal life off of social media and when I do search up things on the web, it is only what I need to search up.
Although I may not be too concerned with what an algorithm may have labeled me as, it does create more of an awareness for me to watch what I search up or go on. Even though I do not post on social media, or go on it that much, there will always be a thought in my mind as to being careful on what I post. In a professional view, I feel that this will not have much effect on me. As I have stated earlier, I keep my personal life away from social media, and only search up what is needed. If a company goes based off of an algorithm of me, then the company is not in my best interest. Companies in general should never go based off of an algorithm. That is equivalent to judging a book by its cover.
To judge someone based off of algorithms seems unethical. To determine the race, gender and class of a person based off of an algorithm can corrupt ones identity. As Cheney-Lippold (2017) stated, "We can not think of gender or talk about race in the same way" (p. 30), which means that you can not assume based on algorithms. Gender is a percentage to an algorithm, which can change in hours depending on what you have searched (p. 28). It is unethical to assume gender, when there are people who claim to be Non-binary.
Bibliography
Cheney-Lippold, J. (2017). We are data algorithms and the making of our Digital Selves. New York University Press.
Hi Demarko! Unlike you, I think that I was more concerned after reading "We Are Data" than I thought. I do post a lot on social media, especially certain things that are just meant for friends. These things are ones that I would not want the whole world to see and knowing that they're probably stored somewhere online still, even after one "deletes", it's terrifying to me. According to Cheney-Lippold (2017), "A simple web search from even the most unsophisticated of smartphones generates a lengthy record of new data. This includes your initial search term, the location of your phone, that time and day when you searched, what terms you searched for before/after, your phone's operating system, your phone's IP address, and even what apps you installed on your phone" (p.4). All of this information is generated from using your phone just once. The amount of power that anyone could have once they have all of this information on an individual and the mass population is scary. Having access to all of these things can be used for good and evil.
ReplyDeleteCheney-Lippold, J. (2017). We Are Data: Algorithms and the Making of Our Digital Selves. New York University Press.
Hello Demarko! I understand your point of not caring too much. I feel like its not too concerning when you know that you aren't searching or participating in anything that you should not be. I think that it was interesting when you brought up gender and how some identify as nonbinary. I did not consider this when reading the introduction and preface of We Are Data.
ReplyDeleteHello Dermako, It is great to hear that while the internet constantly fish out our data without consent on a daily basis, you still do not seem to be bothered about it. Few seem to hold that same mentality as I myself would be incredibly worry if my information was constantly gathered without my approval. The internet is vast and poorly monitored, so the best way to protect ourselves is to double check what we are going to post online. As even a slightest mishap could carry some grave consequences.
ReplyDeleteHello Demarko!
ReplyDeleteI can definitely understand why you might not be particular concerned about how the algorithms may categorize you. I'm also not particularly concerned with it either. If you aren't normally concerned, it makes sense why you wouldn't be professionally either. A point I made in my own post is that things may have "the capacity to be observed, recorded, analyzed, and stored” (Cheney-Lippold, 2019, p.4) but it might not actually be done. The point you made about the ethics of it all is a very interesting one. It brings up a point in the preface where it mentions the European Union's idea of the right to be forgotten for the "ordinary human being" (Cheney-Lippold, 2019, p.x) that isn't given to celebrities. Is that ethical? I think the idea of algorithms that try to determine gender, race, education, etc. have a lot of ethical dilemmas that people could argue for or against. It's interesting, and I assume we will likely dive into this more in depth later in the semester.
References:
Cheney-Lippold, John. (2019). We Are Data Algorithms and the Making of Our Digital Selves. New York University Press.
Hello Dermarko
ReplyDeleteI agree with your sentiment of always being mindful about what should be put on social media. I myself try to keep as much as possible offline because it has always felt weird that strangers could just look me up and see all my photos. Great read.
Hello Dermarko,
ReplyDeleteJust before to the convergence of cellular phones, I believe this type of information was private. Unfortunately, computerized technology has enabled phone manufacturers and operators to retrieve enormous information and even preserve it as a valuable real estate, which is incredibly frightening to know that someone is watching you all the time. Great Job!