Tech Innovation- LJ4

     I found this weeks reading very informative in explaining how social media apps make a profit. At this point in the world, the basics of social media is nothing new to us. As Lipschultz (2020) stated, "balancing the need to keep up and health concerns from living online are real (p.184). Social media is the center point for most of our lives, spending hours on a single app just to see whats trending. Over the years social media has only grown bigger, which "lead to people investing in new technology that is increasingly connected to social media" (p. 185). The innovation of social media has opened doors for many people looking for entrepreneurship. Many social medias have offered a very convenient way for people to promote themselves or businesses. Instagram and Facebook are one of the main social medias that I know of that have dedicated areas on their apps for people promoting their businesses, with Facebook's market and Instagram's dedicated shop section. Instagram also uses their stories in a creative way, "offering brands to show the inner-workings of their businesses, repurpose blog content, promote upcoming live events, offer product demos, and even celebrate highlights" (p. 189).

    My personal opinion towards this technological innovation is very neat in a business stand point. Social media is making it very convenient to try to make money. I do think this will have a huge impact on my work during my career. Everything is starting to become based around social media and mobile apps. You can do almost anything from an app, from ordering food, to finding a ride to a desired destination. This leads me to believe that a lot of careers will be affected by future innovations of social media. Companies already use VR systems to hold business meetings through the "Metaverse". I plan to become a Medical IT, which will be dealing with computers, software, and apps a lot. Knowing this can prepare me for the change to come with the steady innovation of technology and social media. Innovation is only meant to make things better and more convenient. Even though there are a lot of negatives to innovation of social media, the positives still outshine the negatives.


Bibliography

Lipschultz, J. H. (2020). Social Media Communication: Concepts, practices, data, Law and Ethics (3rd ed.). Routledge.

Comments

  1. I agree that social media is making it easier for people to make money! My mom is always shopping on Facebook market place. She has actually met some friends through making sales/purchases on this platform. The possibilities are endless. She is currently selling a truck on Facebook market place which allows more opportunities for making a sale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Working in IT will definitely tie you closely to technology and its advancements. However, I am much less optimistic about effects of innovation. While technological innovation is incredibly beneficial in many ways, there are also a lot of negatives that I feel we need to be wary of, especially in a medical setting. While our readings discussed VR, AR, the "Metaverse", and geo-location tracking, things like medical monitoring devices and other things related to medical information could lead to even greater invasions of privacy. While there are definitely many positives, the negatives should always be considered and worked on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Demarko,

    Facebook and Instagram are amazing platforms for marketing and advertising brands including both products and services. As both you and Lipschultz (2021) mentioned, having these social media platforms that work great for such purposes open up countless opportunities for entrepreneurs to attract consumers. I think the future innovations of such technologies will have both its benefits and consequences for both business owners and users/consumers. In fact, I feel that way about how things are now. For instance, many functions that social technology provides its every day users with are extremely helpful and beneficial, but then there are pitfalls such as invasion of privacy and the record of ones digital trail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Demarko, I really enjoyed how you focused on the many positive impacts social media has had over the years as well as how the future of social media can be beneficial for businesses of all magnitudes. I could not agree more that people often times spend hours a day on social media making it such a perfect and ideal place for businesses to promote not only their products, but their company and its mission as a whole. People now make careers out of social media which is something many would have never believed to be possible twenty years ago. "Large corporations created the title of Chief Digital Officer (CDO) to incorporate the need for internal thought leaders who attempt to keep pace with the changing landscape of social and mobile media" (Lipschultz 185). This job is a prime example of social media creating jobs because companies need someone who can navigate them through the vast and very quickly changing social media platforms. Overall, I think you did an amazing job at proving that there are far more positive than negatives to social media and the many business opportunities it can bring for companies big and small.

    References:

    Lipschultz, J. H. (2021). Social Media Communication: Concepts, Practices, Data, Law and Ethics. Routledge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Demarko! I agree that the metaverse will impact how companies operate in the future and further lead us toward technological innovation. According to Stokel-Walker (2021) "a number of companies are interested in creating as a sort of future version of the internet (p.4). A number of companies are already interested in this product, which will further propel this to being reality. It is important to know that change is inevitable, and the metaverse will probably change how companies and jobs in general go about reaching their tasks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Demarko, I agree with how impactful social media advances will be in the future and will absolutely have an affect on careers in the future. I see that you plan on becoming a Medical IT, so you definitely will see the kind of impact with something like the Metaverse will have in your work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Demarko,

    I agree that social media will increase the business standpoint. Although you stated that jobs can be lost, I believe there will be a huge increase in tech jobs because everything it literally all online. Recently there have been so many people being able to make money from their phones whether it's from investing or promoting. I have also noticed there are more online stores such as boutiques than rather in person. Innovation is meant to make everything better, but we must be aware for the downfalls that can and will happen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Social media is one of the easiest jobs or places to make money now. You can sell yourself, sell yourself as a brand or partner with companies and do deals. Social media helps you get out your message to millions of possible customers as a business while also helping people who have lost their jobs due to things like the pandemic.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How I feel about social media: LJ1

Social media Communication: LJ 8

EWOM and Ecosystems: LJ 9