Photos & Flickr: LJ 5

     My past experience using Flickr before this weeks assignment was none. I have never used Flickr and I did not know much, if anything, about the app/website. I have never had a want or need to make a Flickr account, yet alone even go on it just to see what it had in store. I have an Instagram and to my previous knowledge, I thought Flickr was very similar to Instagram. The fact that I was ignorant to what Flickr had to offer and the difference between Instagram and Flickr led to the site not grabbing my attention. Throughout these past couple of days, learning and personally interacting with Flickr, I have see the huge difference between the two. Instagram is more of a social media through its use of pictures and videos. It is a place where your friends and family can interact with each other. Instagram is very similar to the goals of Flickr, but Instagram is more social media friendly, an app for anyone to use. The second I created a Flickr account for this assignment and scrolled through for a second, I could see the huge difference. Flickr is a more dedicated app to share your photos. Flickr has a very inspiring feeling to make anyone want to become a photographer through the stunning photos people share on it. I wouldn't go on Flickr to send a friend a picture  or funny video, I would go on Flickr to admire only. When I was given the task of posting three pictures into an album, I scrolled through stressing on which photos I should select. I found myself going back and forth between a couple of videos and pictures that I thought looked stunning and posted them with the excitement of hoping others would admire what I had to offer. 

    This weeks readings were truly informative to me at least. I had no clue there were so many popular app/sites dedicated to photos. In the reading "The 20 best photo sharing sites and apps in 2021" by Jeff Phungglan (2021), it explained how there are different photo apps for different situations. Phungglan (2021) stated, "iCloud is the best place to privately share and back up photos, while WeTransfer is good for quickly sending your pictures and files of any kind without creating an account". I found this article very intriguing in the fact that it educates people on the best 21 apps and the best situations to use them. The article listed google photos as the best overall app and Flickr even made a spot on Phungglan's list. I was surprised to see that I only knew of 3 or 4 of the apps/sites as I scrolled down the list. I was unaware of all the different apps and sites created just for photo sharing, storing, and editing. Reading this article will affect my use of the internet in the fact that I may use some of the sites on that list to make my photos look even better through editing. 


Bibliography

Phungglan, J., & writer, J. P. T. (2021, September 22). The 20 best photo sharing sites and apps in 2021. Backlight. Retrieved March 11, 2022, from https://backlightblog.com/photo-sharing-websites-apps

Comments

  1. Hi Demarko,
    Like you, my previous Flickr experience was non-existent. I have heard of it many times and I'm sure I looked over it before, but I personally had never used it until this week. I do agree though that it seems to be more suited for admiring and browsing than for immediate social media photo sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Demarko!
    Much like you and Justin both said, I also had no experience with the platform. I knew of its existence, but I never really bothered with it beyond the occasional instance Google Images might redirect me there for the original picture. I actually mentioned in my own post how I felt Flickr was most likely used for a specific community like professional or at least very serious photographers and/or photography students. To be fair to us, Flickr " sort of froze" when Yahoo bought it in 2005 (Jeffries, 2013), whereas other websites were just beginning to really blossom. By time the renovations in the article were taking place in 2012, they had to compete against new sites or sites that already almost had a decade of growing activity compared to stagnant Flickr. I also shared your surprise though at seeing so many websites or apps that I didn't know. I knew about or had heard of 10 personally, but only regularly thought of 4 that were on the list.

    References
    Jeffries, A. (2013, March 20). The man behind Flickr on making the Service 'awesome again'. The Verge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Demarko, I have never used used or heard of Flickr until this assignment I also used Instagram which is more user friendly and you can communicate with friends and followers. I can see Flickr as a way of sharing photo with strangers on the internet but Instagram and other platform like Facebook has it figured out better UI/User interface.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How I feel about social media: LJ1

Social media Communication: LJ 8

EWOM and Ecosystems: LJ 9