Social media versus Healthcare: LJ 7
From the start of college I have decided that I wanted to do something in the medical field. The specific path that I have chosen was Public health with a concentration in Healthcare Information technology. Due to me pursuing a career related to the medical field, I have decided to read the articles that corresponded to Healthcare. While reading the articles, I have noticed that Social media has a bigger impact than I have previously thought and has also struck upon me that I can somewhat relate to the things the articles have discussed. In the article “Can social media have a positive impact on global healthcare”Arnold (2018) explained that “Millennials have stopped going to doctors visits and seeking guidance on social media”. At first I paid no mind to this but after reading about it, I have come to realize that I am also guilty of this fact. The article continued to explain that “the main reason why Individuals would rather seek help on a blog rather than pay a visit to the doctor is due to the lack of individuals being insured”(Arnold, 2018).
When it comes to me I am insured but I do not want to waste the time or even spend one cent to visit the doctors. I am guilty of going to blogs to look up similar symptoms to compare to what I may have wrong with me. I am sure that what goes through my head, goes through everyone else's head that visits a blog before a doctor, “If the symptoms add up to something serious, then I will go see a doctor”. I believe that social media can have both a negative and positive effect on Healthcare. Healthcare can be negatively affected due to people not wanting to get insured. To some, they see no reason to get insured or to even step foot in a hospital or doctors office. Why waste the time, energy, and money when you can pick up a phone or laptop and look up the symptoms to determine what you may have. In some cases it makes more sense to look up symptoms to save a couple of dollars just to find out that your week long migraine headaches are from caffeine withdrawals. The problem is that if people see no reason to get insured, then less people will go to hospitals and offices, even if their condition is serious. People would rather tough it out rather than be in debt.
Where there is darkness, light will always shine. Even though there is a negative side of social media in the Healthcare industry, I also believe it can positively affect it. In Health Care and Social Media: Importance of facing their challenges, The author explains, “It allows health institutions and organizations to share discoveries, research, health tips and recommendations, and relevant news to the people” (Austin, 2019). The use of social media allows for discoveries and health tips to be spread quicker and across the world. This use of social media can influence the practice of healthier habits worldwide, and can even help prevent illnesses from happening. The article also explains how social media enables for a more efficient and accurate appointment setting system which leads to strengthening the trust of a patient with their doctors (Austin, 2019). Austin also goes on to explain that even though more people are seeking the internet for health advice and symptom comparison, it also “enables care providers to utilize social media to promote their services” (Austin, 2019). Social media has its ups and downs in how it affects The healthcare industry but I do not think this will affect my career path much in terms of being able to find a job, I do believe it will just change how the job will be done.
Bibliography
Arnold, A. (2018, July 28). Can social media have a positive impact on global healthcare? Forbes. Retrieved March 31, 2022, from https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewarnold/2018/06/05/can-social-media-have-a-positive-impact-on-global-healthcare/?sh=5e8f22d618a0
Austin, M. (2019, December 18). Health Care and social media: Importance of facing their challenges. Patient Empowerment Network. Retrieved March 31, 2022, from https://powerfulpatients.org/2019/12/18/health-care-and-social-media-importance-of-facing-their-challenges/
Hi Demarko, I completely agree that many people do not have insurance because they believe they can self-diagnose themselves just fine. However, a bigger problem arises from the lack of regular checkups. That is if there is anything seriously wrong with someone that is showing no symptoms they might not discover it until it is too late. I think social media is more useful for health facilities to share their findings and research with other healthcare facilities rather than it being primarily used for people to self-diagnose themselves. I believe receiving regular checkups at least once a year is vital in making sure you are in good health. I think social media like you said is also a great way to expose those who may not have insurance to the many benefits they can gain from getting it if they are financially stable enough. If not there are always state and federal provided programs that can provide people with insurance to ensure they are living a healthy life. As someone who is also going into the medical field, I believe social media could have an effect on me finding a job. I say this because social media may expose me to jobs and job searching sites that I would have never known about otherwise. Overall, I really enjoyed your post and how you focused on how social media can affect the medical industry as a whole, have a great week!
ReplyDeleteHi Demarko! I am not personally going into the Healthcare industry, but your article was very enlightening. Social media can indeed be used to promote the services of certain health care individuals or companies. The only worry I have with this is that, in a way, it monopolizes the industry. Only companies/individuals with money can advertise and gain more customers, even if their services aren't the best when compared to those who don't use social media to advertise. However, each company should really invest some of their money into social media marketing nowadays, as this is important in today's world.
ReplyDeleteHello Demarko, your analysis on the use of social media check symptoms for an illness is quite realistic, as I am sure there are not a small number of people out there who are doing the same. Being burdened with medical debt is a scary thought and not everyone is willing to risk it. That being said, financial issue should not be weighted against health. It is advisable to seek appropriate healthcare whenever it is possible. Reading through reports posted on social media might help somewhat, but that should not be the substitute for actual care from qualified professionals. Not to mention that these information on social media are not always 100% accurate, as few of them are actually from a scholarly-reviewed, scientifically-proven sources. Therefore, it is best to talk with your doctor, especially when your condition is starting to become apparent.
ReplyDeleteHello Demarko,
ReplyDeleteAlthough I'm not specifically looking to go into healthcare, I also chose to do the healthcare section. Arnold's article definitely felt like a call out because whenever I think something might be wrong, I tend to do research online or talk to friend first. Or even just 'wait it out'. I put going to the doctor's as a last resort despite being insured. I know you mentioned how social media has led to more accurate online health appointments, which is something I appreciate. I like not having to call to make an appointment. As you said, there's pros and cons to social media in healthcare and you did a good job in addressing those aspects and using sources. Great work!
Hey Demarko,
ReplyDeleteas someone that is also planning on following a career in the health field i was pretty surprised that younger people have stopped going to their doctors as frequently as they should.